Friday, December 11, 2009

Building A Collection of Crocheted Potholders--HUH?

I probably have 300 crocheted potholders. Most are red and white, but I have never been known to turn one down just because it wasn't red and white. In fact, I have them in almost every color, shape and genre. One or two are so risque I can't show them on this blog. Now, I realize collecting potholders is odd habit for a former museum curator, especially considering that I spent 20 years studying, writing and curating exhibitions on pre-1840s printed cottons, ie: chintz. Potholders just don't have the same appeal. But, there is a story behind this odd collection.




When my children were small, I needed something to occupy them during my endless visits to antique shops and flea markets. Since I drug them everywhere, what better way to keep them from complaining than to challenge them to a scavenger hunt! The idea came to me in one summer in Maine. While driving from Bath to Wiscasset, we passed a small, but interesting flea market. They begged me not to stop, to no avail. Trying to avoid a revolt from the back seats, I asked them to help me find potholders--red and white was best, but any color would do. Whoever found the first one would get a treat. 


The boy, who was about 10 at the time and extremely competitive, took off. The girl, 8, strolled leisurely around the flea market, looking for a toy or a soccer ball, anything but potholders. She wasn't the least bit interested.


Secretly, I hoped this challenge would spark an interest in collecting. I come from a family of collectors and thought genetics would kick in. The boy scored first. He found my first figurative potholder in the bottom of a messy box of linens. It was a red and white fish. I haven't seen another since.


For years we searched for potholders. They were, and still are, inexpensive. But, what do you do with them? 


I hung the red ones on my kitchen walls--against red walls they were adorable and a great conversation starter. The others were tossed in a large drawer, where they still are today.


My red vintage kitchen is soon to be a grey/blue mid-century modern-inspired delight, and the potholders just won't do!  So what do I do with 300 crocheted potholders?


Before I sell them or give them away, except for the fish, of course, they will have one last hurrah!


Here are pictures of this year's Christmas tree. Maybe I will make a dvd of the collection with history and sell it on my website. 



The tree during the day.




Some of the potholders.





My favorite dress.





I love the geometric ones--very abstract.






Two more cute dresses.







The boy's fish. 





A Poinsettia




Blues







More blues





Unusual Black and whites












Oranges, browns and yellows











I added small red balls.






All photographs by the author. 




No comments:

Post a Comment