Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A Weekend at the Hunt Country Antiques Fair 2009

Some of my items at the Hunt Country Antiques Fair. 
The Hunt Country Antiques Fair, known to collectors as "Oatlands" is back after several years at a different location. A big crowd turned out Saturday and Sunday to ogle the antiques and hunt for that elusive prize. The weather was perfect and the pickings were good.


Crossing the Potomac River on the General Jubal Early at White's Ferry, Maryland

One of my favorite things about participating in a show in Virginia is the early morning ferry ride across the Potomac River. The dew is just starting to evaporate, the river is still and calm and a Blue Heron sits on a rock near the shore watching us as the ferry glides from one side of the river to the other.

The Potomac River at White's Ferry 

A row of canoes on the banks of the river 

Saturday began surprisingly well with a long line of people waiting to get in when the gates opened at 10 AM. At Gabriel Gibson we had many people looking and complimenting us on our inventory. The album quilt from Westminster, Maryland was especially a big hit. My 1850 farm table and 2 silvered glass (mercury glass) vases sold right away to a lovely woman furnishing an 1826 house in Hagerstown, Maryland.


Album Quilt Top made in Westminster, Maryland around 1850

Several friends and clients came out to see me. Patrick Sheary, former colleague and current museum curator seemed to be especially interested in some of the folk art for sale.


Patrick Sheary, curator, examines a folk art toy from Pennsylvania.

One of the trends evident at the show was  the popularity of  country furniture. It never seems to go out of style.  Almost every dealer who had furniture sold at least one or two pieces.


Gabriel Gibson Decorative Arts prior to set-up


My show neighbor in his space.  

Above is Bill Owens of North Carolina. He had wonderful early country furniture and he knew everyone!


I sold this silvered glass vase along with another.


Lovely Dorothy Thorpe etched crystal plates and martini glasses. Note the fabulous rolling bar cart. I saw one a few months ago on 1st Dibs for $1800. Mine is only $1200 and is so classy.


Puppy Pillows
I just couldn't resist these two silk embroidered puppy pillows. I bought them immediately and put them in my space. The pekineese are really adorable with their blue and green eyes. I have a Beagle so I love anything that represents the breed.


Sock Monkey
This sock monkey sold on Sunday.  I have always heard that "cute" animals sell well. I believe it-all my "cute" things sold while the really rare French ceramics were left unsold. The French objects and pricey textiles will soon be posted on my website at www.vandm.com. The site will be online in a few weeks. The adorable sock monkey is perched on top of a perfect pair of imitation alligator vintage luggage. It is an early Samsonite. The inside is as perfect as the outside. I even have the original keys. 


Mom's bakery in Leesburg

Whenever I am in Leesburg I have to make a quick stop at Mom's bakery for a sweet treat. Mom's sells the best pastries and coffee in Northern Virginia. The aroma of cakes baking hits you the second you walk in the door. I like to just stand there and smell it! If you find yourself in the area drop by and try the whoopie pies, buckeyes, and beautifully hand-decorated sugar cookies. They also sell a nice Costa Rican coffee.


All photographs courtesy of Nancy Gibson, 2009


1 comment: