Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Chevy Chase Women's Club Antiques Show or A Fellini Movie?

I felt like I was in a Fellini movie this past weekend when I exhibited my country antiques, folk art,  a few French things and a couple of mid-century chandeliers that are to-die-for-marvelous at the 49th Annual Women's Club of Chevy Chase Antiques Show. 






For the back story:
As a result of the economy,  many dealers are in a very bad mood, and the 96 year-old Chevy Chase Women's Club has definitely seen better days. 


Disregarding what they actually tell you, many antiques dealers are not doing well and some are barely hanging on. Prices are all over the place and the smart ones (the ones that are selling) have adjusted to the new economy. Others are hanging on to those old inflated prices and their inventory is barely moving. I have seen some dealers go home from a show having sold nothing. Items that were purchased prior to the recession are at prices they cannot sustain now. On the other hand, customers are holding on to their pocketbooks and buying with more caution than many dealers are accustomed to seeing. Thus, the dealers are a grouchy bunch!


The Federation of Women's Clubs is a typical example of an organization that has not kept up with the times. Some clubs in the Federation own costly properties that cannot be maintained and have become a drain on club finances. Also, membership is dwindling in most clubs. One wonders if these once relevant clubs will find a way to reinvent themselves and grow a new membership. Since, most club activities are charitable, one hopes they can do it and do it quickly. 


I was amazed at the Chevy Chase Club members--the member volunteer who made the fabulous chicken salad and finger sandwiches for lunch was 94-years-old!  She had no help in the kitchen and was working all day for 2 days. The food was delicious, but where was her help? 


I sat at lunch with another charming member who described herself to me this way, "I am 85-years-old, have had 9 boyfriends in the past 20 years. They all died." She went on to say, "Men just don't take care of themselves." This little ball-of-fire  worked the show both days, all day, and opening night, wore a leather mini skirt and had a smile on her face the entire weekend, even when encountering more than one really grouchy dealer. I was awestruck. 


Following are some pictures of the show.



 Hearthside Antiques, Poolesville, Maryland
Hearthsideantiques@verizon.net

My space
Gabriel Gibson Decorative Arts, Germantown, Maryland
www.gabrielgibson.com
Coming soon to www.vandm.com

I sold some this weekend. 


Sold this tool chest. 

Hooked rug from Indiana-I came so close to selling this. Part of me was disappointed, the other was relieved that I can use it in my bedroom for a little while longer.


A dealer wanted this iconic tinsel painting, but couldn't afford it. She was grouchy about not being able to afford it---I think she wanted me to give it to her. 


My smalls always attract much interest, especially the sewing manual from Reading, PA (bottom). The 1840s huswife (center right) was ignored this show, but was studied by all at the Oatlands show. Chevy Chase was a very different audience than Oatlands.


From the balcony looking down on the crowd.


Gold Leaf Antiques, Atlanta, Georgia
Donald and Duane
Donald gave me many tips on setting up the space. 
These guys had a $98,000 diamond ring!


Loved these chairs-they are in peach suede and are $2500 each.
A Room With A View, Middleburg, Virginia


My French sunburst mirror-this is the real thing!
Gabriel Gibson Decorative Arts


The Brills have been doing this show for 30 years. They sold the beautiful chest at the end of the room. 
Brill's Antiques
Judy and Jerry Brill in Newport News, Virginia


Donna Radner is a Chevy Chase fiber artist working in quilts for the bed and the wall. Here she is admiring my antique "Flying Geese" quilt from Pennsylvania. It was made by a member of the Swartz family.

Here is my assistant packing up the Lucite chandelier. I did well at this show and had fun, too.


This was my favorite object in the show. How pretty!


Promoter Dordy Fontinel on the phone. 
She is an amazing and sweet woman who works very hard to make the show profitable for the club, dealers, and customers.

 
A list of Dordy's upcoming shows from the Chevy Chase catalogue.




No comments:

Post a Comment